Whether it’s your first time planning a snorkeling trip or you’ve already spent some time in the water, you know that it can be one of the best experiences in a person’s life. But did you know that if you don’t have the right kind of equipment, it can take a lot out of the joy and wonder of your experience?
Here are some tips on what to look for in a mask and the rest of the snorkel equipment you’ll want to use on your adventure.
1. When looking at different masks, you’ll want to be sure you can try them on. If you buy one that doesn’t fit your face’s shape properly, you’ll have leaking problems. You can’t enjoy your time under the water if you can’t see! You’ll know it fits properly if you are able to take a breath through your nose and lean your head forward without it falling off. The straps are there to keep masks on and not to be tightened to force them to stay on your head. Make sure you keep them loose enough to be comfortable. Play around with masks that have different types of straps. Make sure they are comfortable on your head and that you can adjust them without help.
2. You might not need a special lens, but if you do, you’ll need to take that into account. If you wear prescription lenses, you will want to select a dual-lens mask. You can change either one of the lenses as you need it. Masks can also have additional lenses that allow you to enjoy peripheral sightseeing. Whatever lens you choose, consider using an anti-fog treatment.
3. Snorkels come with mouthpieces and you want to select one that is comfortable for you. They vary in sizes and textures, so be sure to check before you make a purchase.
4. There are options available to control the kind of water snorkels let in. If you’d like to deal with less water, look for snorkels that have valves on the end.
5. Length and width matters when it comes to snorkels. If it’s short, water can get in easier. Snorkels that are too long can make breathing difficult. You also want to make sure that the snorkels you look at are at least ¾-inches thing. If you don’t know the right length or width for you, ask a professional for help. Snorkels are available in different colors, styles and textures. You can even buy them with special features if they appeal to you. No matter what you look for in a mask, make sure it’s the right fit for you. It can be the one thing that makes or breaks your experience.