Give Sri Lankan Children the Gift of Swimming
Why Swim For Safety?
The Tsunami in 2004 has tragically brought to light that many lives were lost because of a fear of water and with over 90% of the population in Sri Lanka is unable to swim due to the unavailability of pool facilities for children and the general public. As a response, CandleAid has designed its “Swim For Safety” programme to teach the underprivileged children to swim in Sri Lanka.
• To provide children with essential water safety skills so that they can properly react in case of a water danger
• To offer an opportunity for Sri Lankan children to learn to swim
• To encourage Sri Lankan parents and children to explore the economic and social opportunities available and minimising phobia through water-based activities
• To encourage undertaking swimming as a sport by enabling opportunities for the poorer segments of the population access to swimming pools and related facilities
• To minimise the risk of incidence of drowning in times of water based disasters